Not happening. Hoping to ignite sales of my stories, I attended "The Inside Scoop from Book Marketing Pros" at the Tucson Festival of Books 2015.
A panel of three high powered marketers shared their insights.
- Lisa Dietlin (www.lmdietlin.com)
- Krista Soukup (www.bluecottageagency.com)
- David Henry Sterry (www.thebookdoctors.com)
Their messages had some common themes:
- there has never been a better time to be an author
- Amazon has changed the game
- whether you self-publish or go with a publishing house, you will have to be your own publicist
Some interesting trivia. Those lists of bestselling books - where do they get their rankings?
They call 100 book vendors—it is a secret list—and ask "What is the buzz in your store?" Not scientific, but powerful promotion for those that get on the list.
If you want numbers: go to Amazon and look at the rankings of books. It gives a comparative position relative to other books in that genre. And of course, it can only count books sold through Amazon